Monday, July 2, 2012

Breakfast -- Fail and Success

One of the things that is hardest for me is breakfast. Honestly, it doesn't matter how big my glasses are, green juice just does not fuel me for an entire morning -- or even 20 minutes.

I don't know if I ever mentioned it in the past, but I used to eat lima beans for breakfast. Every single morning. Weird, I know. My nutritionist pointed out to me that it isn't really a good idea to eat the exact same thing every day for years. I am now trying to have a variety of breakfast things to eat.

This is difficult because I have a large number of restrictions that basically eliminate all "normal" breakfast foods. And I know that my body works best when it gets some protein and fat in the morning. Here I am, sharing my quest for breakfast with you.

I love Ashley over at Edible Perspective and she loves breakfast. No better place to start the quest for breakfast.

She writes about popped (or puffed) amaranth. I am trying different grains (see above comment about all the same goods), so I thought that would be great.

 

Fail.

Seriously, follow the link and look at her picture of how this is supposed to look. Mine popped a few ... kernels? Grains? Seeds? But burned everything else in the pan. I tried twice, and then decided that this was not for me.


I decided to have this beautiful bowl for breakfast instead.



This is Buckwheat Creamy Hot Cereal with lots of toppings.



I found this brand at Wal-mart (forever ago) and bought it on a whim. But I've been a little scared to try it. So I finally took the plunge.

Buckwheat Cereal with Toppings
1/4 Buckwheat Hot Cereal
1 cup Water
1/4 tsp Cinnamon
1 tsp Carob
1/4 cup Hemp Milk (or soy, almond, whatever you like)
1 tsp Almond Butter
1 Banana, sliced
Pinch of Salt

Cook the buckwheat cereal according to package instructions. Add the cinnamon, carob, and salt and stir to combine. Add the hemp milk and stir. Top with the almond butter and banana.

No comments:

Post a Comment