Thursday, February 17, 2011

Parsnip, Turnip and White Bean Soup


I bought some turnips a few weeks ago. Then I roasted them and stored them in the freezer. That wasn't a good idea. When I thawed and ate them, the turnips were incredibly mushy and -- let's be honest -- gross.

I bought some more turnips last week. They are on the list, and I'm not really sure what I thought I would do with them.

So I thought and thought. I knew I didn't want to just roast them again. Then I thought what if I combine it with parsnips. Then I thought, that might be a little overpowering. It needs something to tone down the flavors. So I came up with this soup.

Parsnip, Turnip and White Bean Soup
2 tbs sunflower oil
1/2 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 carrot, chopped
1 rib celery, chopped
3 medium turnips, diced
4 parsnips, diced
4 cups (or more as needed) water
2 bay leaves
salt and pepper
1 tbs dried sage
1 can navy beans, rinsed and drained

Start the sofrito. When the sofrito is softened, toss in the turnips and parsnips. Cook them just a little and then add the water and spices. Bring everything to a boil and then drop it to a simmer.

When the parsnips and turnips are soft, add the can of beans. Let everything cook for 5-7 minutes.

Then blend the soup with your immersion blender until it is smooth and creamy. Check for the seasonings and adjust as needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment