Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Apple Crisp


I was reading my vegetarian magazine, and they have an orange crisp in it. Well, of course I thought, that's nice, but let's face it. I'm never going to make that. But then I thought, I like apple crisp though.

This is a gluten-free crisp, so I took it and made it sugar-free. I made it once and it had too much crisp. The second time the proportions were much better. Of course, I must caution you that this is not traditional apple crisp. It's never going to taste like the apple crisp that you used to eat when you could eat gluten. My gluten-eating sister wasn't that impressed, but I liked it.

Apple Crisp
about 5 Apples, peeled, cored, and sliced. It took 5 for me to fill an 8x8 pan. You may need more or less.
1/2 cup brown rice flour
1/4 cup succanat (this is a natural sweetner that can be used as a sugar substitute. It's dry, so it's good for a crisp where honey wouldn't work).
2 tsp apple pie spice --OR-- 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp nutmeg, 1/2 tsp ginger, 1/4 tsp cloves, 1/4 tsp allspice
8 Tbs butter

Lay the apple slices in an 8x8 pan. Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl. Either using a mixer or a pastry tool, cut in the butter. The flour mixture will be dry, but look for it to clump together with the butter.

Bake at 350 for 40 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds wonderful! I love the 8 x 8 size, too. Some apple crisp recipes make too much, and often I'm too lazy to convert them to the 8 x 8 size. ;-) I'm always seeing recipes and saving them, many of which don't get made. Re-creating this one with apples so you'd make it is very smart! :-)

    Thanks!

    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't made apple crisp in a while, but I really enjoy it. Thanks for the reminder. I like using sorghum flour in the topping.

    ReplyDelete