Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Snacks

Amy of Simply Sugar and Gluten Free is doing a round up today of snacks. So I thought I would get this posted really quick, and link you over there.

I've decided I have two categories of snacks. Snacks that are for when I am away or traveling, and snacks for when I am at home or at work. Some things transfer of course, but some travel less well.

Away Snacks
Fruit - Apples travel really well
Dried fruit - raisins, dates, prunes, apricots, figs
Nuts - almonds and cashews are my favorites
Fruit Leather - I always get the Archer Farms/Target brand
NutThins - I only like the Almond and Pecan kind, although they keep coming out with more varieties

Home/Work Snacks
Hummus with crudite (secretly I have always wanted to use that word) or NutThins
Peanut or Almond butter on apples or celery or a spoon
Fruit or Veggies
Muffins - I am a huge fan of muffins, as you can see here, here, here, and here
Yogurt (this is a dessert for me)
Applesauce



Black Bean "Hummus" Dip
I'm on a new diet regime and I shouldn't be eating garbanzo beans. But I was feeling deprived, so I decided to invent a hummus with black beans. I couldn't decide if it would taste good with tahini, so I used an avocado instead (creaminess factor).

1 can rinsed black beans
1/2 ripe avocado
1 bunch cilantro
1 tbs lime juice
1 1/2 tbs olive oil
1 tsp sea salt

Dump everything in the food processor and pulse. If your hummus is too thick add a tablespoon of water.

No comments:

Post a Comment