Sunday, April 25, 2010

Split Pea Soup

On the menu plan a week or so ago was Split Pea Soup. I looked up a quick vegetarian version on AllRecipes.com (because I don't have ham hock in the freezer. Go ahead and let me know if I should be keeping ham hock in the freezer.) It was just fine, but then I had to modify it of course.

Split Pea Soup
2 cups dried split peas
2 carrots, sliced
3 celery stalks, chopped
1/2 leek, sliced
1 clove of garlic
1/2 box vegetable broth, plus water as needed
1/2 tsp salt
2 bay leaves
2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp cayenne powder

I made this in my crockpot, which means toss everything in, then pour in the liquid. I turned it on low and left it all night. When I got up in the morning, it smelled good, and I stirred it and the peas fell apart making it a nice creamy soup.

If you are serving it later, you may need to add some water as it tends to thicken up.

No comments:

Post a Comment