Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Gadgets with Dahl and Soup

I got two new kitchen gadgets for Christmas. A crockpot and an immersion blender. I was really excited, so I have used them both this week.

The immersion blender was great for the Lentil Dahl. It blended everything up perfectly and was super easy to use.

I adjusted the recipe for the Lentil Dahl again.
1 cup lentils, soaked
3 cups water
1 T oil
1 onion, diced
1 t chili powder
1/2 t tumeric
1/2 t cumin
1/2 teaspoon powdered ginger
1/2 t red chili flakes
1 can diced tomatoes
1 t sea salt

Saute the onion and spices in the oil. Add the lentils, water, and tomatoes. Once everything boils and the lentils are soft, use an immersion blender to blend them.
Serve with rice or other grain.

I loaded up my new crockpot for soup last night. I let it run overnight and then loaded up a jar to take to work today. Perfect!



And I realized that I have never posted a recipe for my soup, which makes sense because it's always different, but I eat it all the time, so I should post a recipe.

Vegetable Soup
1 T olive oil
1/2 onion, diced
1 t minced garlic
2 carrots, sliced
2 celery ribs, sliced
1 sweet potato
1 zucchini, diced
5 (or so) mushrooms, sliced
1/2 green pepper, diced
About 3 cups chicken or vegetable stock (I use Rachel Ray's or Pacific Foods, those brands are GF and sugar-free)
2 bay leaves
thyme, rosemary
salt and pepper

Saute the onion and garlic in olive oil. Add the carrots and celery and let them saute for a little while. Then add everything else and boil until things are soft and the soup is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment