Thursday, October 15, 2009

Sweet Potatoes and Menu Plans

And thus we see...

I just like saying that. It's so much better than here's the point.

So thus we see why menu plans are so difficult for me. Oh, I guess the "and thus we see" should come after the explanation. Ok, here's the explanation.

On Oct. 7, I wrote about my menu plan for the week. My plans are bigger than my belly (which honestly baffles me, and should baffle anyone who has seen the way I eat). So during that week, I only managed to eat the Soup, the Stuffed Green Pepper, the Green Goddess Rice, and the Green Tomato Pasta Toss.

Much to my chagrin and shame and irritation (yeah, chagrin just doesn't say it all) the salad went bad. I did get one bowl out of it, but then it was gross.

The rest of that week's meal plan was extended into this week. I already posted the spaghetti squash and related recipes.

I like some savory with my sweet potatoes, so I don't go the brown sugar route. Here is my recipe.

Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Rub olive oil and salt onto the sweet potato. Bake the sweet potatoes at 350 until they are soft when you stick a fork in them. Gently pull the skin off and dump the potatoes in a bowl. Mash them with a fork. Add a teaspoon of coconut oil, a 1/2 tsp of curry powder, and a 1/2 tsp of chipotle powder. Stir.

And thus we see why menu planning doesn't work. I spend 2 weeks eating one plan, and now I am completely out of all my staples - like rice.

Menu Plan for week of 10/17
Rice and Peas Risotto
Chickpea Couscous
Butternut Squash Chili
Pancakes

No comments:

Post a Comment