Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Enchiladas and Muffins

Planned meal number one for the week was enchiladas. I wanted something not chicken - yeah, I don't know why. So I looked around at some of the food blogs, and found this recipe for Sweet Potato and Black Bean Enchiladas.

The only change I made was using cornstarch instead of arrowroot starch (because it's what I had). Oh, and I'll make an ingredient note, I was able to find 8 oz cans of chopped, roasted green chiles at Walmart for $0.96, be sure you look around. The first cans I found were 4 oz and $2+.

Also, the recipe says this will make 8, I was able to make 10 and fit them in my 9x13 pan. Then I had a rectangular gladware container full of the sweet potatoes and beans. This means I can make more. Yay.

I thought these were delicious, and they got super rave reviews from my friend as well. Even to the point of eating 3. (Corn tortillas are smaller, so I'm not in any way implying anything).

And of course, I made muffins again. This time, I made Apple Cinnamon Muffins. I'm not going to bother with posting the recipe, because frankly, they didn't turn out that good. I think that the problem is I made them without sugar, and cinnamon just doesn't taste right without sugar. I think we always eat them paired together - sprinkled on Snickerdoodles or Banana cookies, for example. So it just tastes weird and flat to have cinnamon without sugar.

Any suggestions to fix that problem?

2 comments:

  1. my friends kids (who are allergic to most kinds of sugar) eat dextrose. (for some reason I can't paste in a link here). Not sure if dextrose is the kind of sugar you could eat or not. The other thing would be to try artificial sweetners like splenda.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two recipes for this week. This week I bought canned chickpeas (garbanzo beans). Can't remember what they cost.

    Recipe #1: Chickpea Couscous

    Cook Couscous according to directions. You would need to substitute a rice thing... like the little kind you mentioned in a prior post.

    Buy a bag of frozen veggie's (or pull one out of the freezer), and cook according to package directions. I like the bags that "steam fresh" the veggies in the microwave for 5 minutes, since that is how long couscous takes.

    Mix the veggies with tomato sauce, toss in chickpeas (drained), and some parmesan cheese. Put over the couscous (or rice-like thing). Yum.

    Recipe #2: Chickpea Salad
    Spinach leaves, chickpeas (drained), carrots, feta cheese, and Italian salad dressing. Toss. Enjoy.

    For this one I did have to buy everything (spinach, feta, carrots and chickpeas). I have no idea what they all cost. I will try to do better on that. The italian dressing I already had.

    ReplyDelete