Saturday, August 22, 2009

I brought you flours.

So my big food project for the week was to combine up a new flour blend. I made Bette Hagman's "Featherlight" flour mix. It is:
1 cup rice flour
1 cup cornstarch
1 cup tapioca flour
1 tbs. potato flour

Of course, I can't follow directions, so I decided that I would alternate a cup of white rice flour with a cup of brown rice flour.

I paid a total of $13.47 for the different flours. I made 9 cups of flour, and only stopped because I ran out of cornstarch. So I still have almost all of the brown rice flour and potato flour, and half the bag of the tapioca flour.

I am figuring I can make at least 4 things with the 9 cups of flour. So it's still pretty expensive, at $1.50 per cup, which would make most things (since I use 2 cups of flour mix for a batch of pancakes and muffins) about $3 for just the flour. But of course that is ignoring the fact that I will be able to make more flour as soon as I get more cornstarch - happily enough the cheapest part of the mix.

In other news, I'm currently eating the recipe Heather suggested, the Salsa Pasta recipe. Yum-o. And can I say a huge thanks, because all of those ingredients are actually things that I usually have in my fridge.

I have no recipes to suggest from this past week. It was a raw-veggie-heavy week. I bought fresh mozzarella and made Insalata Caprese. It was delicious. Then I ate corn on the cob. Then I made a half a cup of quinoa and put it in a lettuce free salad.

I said no recipes, but for those of you not in the know, I will explain the Insalata Caprese.
1 ball of fresh mozzarella - no, you cannot buy the block of what they call mozzarella and have this taste good. splurge.
tomatoes - real ones that you just picked from your garden, or a friend's garden, or the farmer's market
fresh basil
olive oil
salt and pepper

Dice the tomatoes and mozzarella and put in a bowl. Rough chop the basil, a good handful, and add to the bowl. Pour a drizzle of olive oil over everything and a little salt and pepper. Toss everything well, and enjoy.

Seriously, if you use good ingredients, it's the best thing ever.

1 comment:

  1. New recipe. Not exactly sure what it cost me, because I forgot to pay attention.

    Almond Chicken Salad

    2 cups asparagus tips, diagonally cut
    1/2 cup plain yogurt
    1 teaspoon curry powder
    1 teaspoon lemon juice
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon pepper
    2 cups cooked chicken breast, chopped
    1/2 cup red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
    1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
    2 tablespoons sliced almonds
    spinach leaves

    1. Steam asparagus for 2 minutes until crisp-tender
    2. Wisk together the yogurt, curry, lemon juice, salt and pepper
    3. Add asparagus, chicken, bell pepper, cilantro and almonds. Toss to coat.
    4. Serve on spinach leaves.

    This holds up pretty well in the fridge, but the sauce does separate, so you have to stir it back together. So far this is looking like 4-5 meals. I have also put it on a bagel for a sandwich, which is tasty.

    ReplyDelete