Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Chopped Salad


Isn't that beautiful and bright green?

I started feeling like I needed to eat more raw vegetables. I know it probably sounds completely ridiculous to say that I need to eat more vegetables, because that's practically all I eat. But it is almost, sort of, trying hard to become spring -- although here in the middle, we keep suffering setbacks to spring that always come in the form of snow -- and I have been feeling like the winter food I have been eating wasn't cutting it anymore.

So I started an experiment.

I read an article in the newspaper about how wonderful chopped salads are. Rather than large chunks of lettuce and other goodies, everything is chopped up really fine. According to the author this is absolutely the best.

So I went and bought all the types of greens I can eat -- romaine lettuce, iceberg lettuce, spinach, and kale. I got out my biggest bowl, and chopped everything up really small. I tossed the bowl in the bottom drawer of my fridge, and hoped that would keep everything inside pretty fresh.

It did. I ate this salad all week long.

Sometimes I dressed the salad with olive oil and lemon juice. A lot of the time I just poured/placed whatever I was having for lunch -- the heavy winter food -- on top. It was great with the black eyed peas, the lentils, and even the navy bean and rice soup.

It was an easy change for spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment